Once you begin your journey of healthy eating, you may think that Pizza is no longer an option. There’s the crust, all the cheese, and everything else that goes with Pizza. However, this delicious recipe will show you that it’s absolutely possible – you simply have to make a few changes. A cauliflower crust is a great start.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced
- Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place cauliflower florets into a food processor and pulse until it becomes a snowy powder. Transfer cauliflower to a microwave-safe bowl and cover. Microwave until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel and allow to cool.
- Once cauliflower is cool, wrap the cauliflower inside the towel and wring out the moisture. Transfer to a second towel if necessary.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cauliflower, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, a, and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese until well combined.
- Transfer to the cookie sheet and press into a 10 inch round shape. Bake until golden brown, approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the oven and top with pizza sauce and remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, approximately 10 minutes.
- Place the slices of Roma tomato and fresh basil on to the pizza just before serving.
If you are concerned with the amount of calories in the pizza sauces that you find at the grocery store, you can always choose to make your own. Inside of a hot, you can combine crushed tomatoes with chopped onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. A little salt and pepper to taste, and suddenly, you have a delicious pizza sauce that you made your own, and you don’t have to worry about any added chemicals or processing.
One of the joys of pizza is that you get to select all of the toppings. Depending upon the diet you are following, there may be certain substitutions that you will want to make. For example, you might want to add some protein beyond cheese. This could include pork, turkey pepperoni, grilled chicken, and various other things. Top your pizza with as many proteins and vegetables as you desire, get it in the oven, and impress everyone with your healthy but delicious pizza. You might be surprised by how many people stop you afterwards to ask for the recipe.